The momentum in the movement to free Mumia has been picking up steam and the possibilities of this new period are great. We are excited about relaunching the campaign that will bring Mumia home, as we build a movement to end mass incarceration, to free all political prisoners, and build a better world. In this moment, we also have the tremendous new movie on Mumia, The Long Distance Revolutionary, which is showing across the country, and - please note – scheduled now for a run in the heart of Philadelphia, May 3-4-5 with four showings daily. (Support this event by keeping informed of the Philly campaign for the film, and help fill those seats by buying your tickets now. If you yourself cannot go, you can give or sell them to someone else. We hope to have all sold out events.)
Following on the resolutions of our Jan 26 strategic planning event at Temple University, we called the first official meeting of a Coordinating Committee for effort to bring Mumia home. The meeting was be held in New York on February 23. Thosefrom afar had the opportunity to call into the meeting. The meeting was held at Baruch College, 24th Street and Lexington Avenue, in the History Department Seminar Room.
The purpose of the coordinating committee was to help bring to fruition the resolutions established at the January 26 strategic planning meeting.
1) To use the last term of Obama’s presidency to leverage our demand for Mumia’s immediate release from prison;
2) To continue to identify and implement the strategy that will bring Mumia home;
3) To emphasize in our strategy the 6 areas of work necessary to build a mass movement to Free Mumia and end mass incarceration: 1) Spiritual Communities 2) Labor 3) Students 4) Defense of the Move 9 and other Political Prisoners 5) Media 6) Educators.
4) To consciously and systematically connect all the different people who are already doing this work both in the US and around the world so that we are all working together collaboratively and effectively.
5) To bring newer and younger activists into the leadership body of the Mumia work.
6) To call for our next strategic planning meeting.
With love and in solidarity,
Johanna, Mark & Tameka of Educators for Mumia Abu-Jamal
and in Collaboration with Pam & Ramona Africa